Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Red hot lentil curry recipe!

I have recently discovered curry and it is yum yum hot hot. In my quest for healthy meals I have also discovered lentils. Can you believe that I have never had lentils before? Nope, not ever. My family is the meat and potatoes type - when I say pasta, they say what? Last semester I tried making a lentil soup which failed miserably. Mainly, due to the fact that I had no idea how to cook a lentil and because I didn't know that acid from say lime juice causes the lentils to cook very slowly.. oops. However, this time I was smart and soaked my lentils overnight to avoid any problems with slow cooking!! :)


Ingredients:
1 cup red lentils
1 can diced garlic and onion tomatoes drained
1 small onion
1 tbl curry powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste




  • Rinse lentils with cold water until the water becomes clear
  • Soak lentils overnight in 1 cup of water
  • Simmer lentils in 2 cups of water for about 15-20 mins or until tender
  • While the lentils are cooking soften some onions in a pot with a bit of butter
  • Once the onions are soft and a little brown add your drained can of tomatoes (I used garlic onion tomatoes diced)
  • After about 5 mins or so combine all of the hot ingredients and add all of the spices. Stir! (For more burn-your-tounge-hotness add some extra chili powder!)
  • Pretty good, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment