Saturday, February 18, 2012

Whole wheat apple cake (or bread?)



Baking is a great way to procrastinate. You don't have to do your work AND you get awesome food! It's really a win win. Since I had two granny smith apples in my fridge I decided I would make whole wheat apple cake.. or bread? I am not quite sure what this should be considered. However, I do know that it is yummy!




Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon 
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 granny smith apples, grated
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup oil 
1/4 cup vanilla greek nonfat yogurt  
2 eggs


  • First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt
  • Peel the skin off the apples and then grate. Once you have your grated apple squeeze out most of the liquid and then stir the grated apple into the dry ingredients 
  • In a separate bowl mix the oil, greek yogurt, and eggs. Then add to the dry ingredients. Mix, mix, mix!
  • You can place your 1/2 cup of walnuts in a plastic bag and smash with a heavy object. Then, add the walnuts to the bowl. Mix!
  • Pour your batter into a greased baking pan 8x4 or 9x5
  • Bake for 50 minutes
  • Enjoy! I like to eat this apple cake warm with a bit of butter :)


No comments:

Post a Comment