Friday, March 30, 2012

Carrot and apple cake! (made with greek yogurt)

It's snowing again... ew. But at least now I don't mind using my oven in the apartment! Time to BAKE!!! I had two granny smith apples and some carrots in my fridge.. I had been neglecting them and eating Qdoba instead. I know, bad Kristi. This fruit plus veggie combo seemed perfect for a healthy cake which I can eat for breakfast or bring some into the lab for lunch! I used greek yogurt in this recipe just like in the apple cake I made below and I think it turned out really well. I'm still amazed that you can bake with yogurt but it tastes so good!!!

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
A dash of nutmeg 
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 granny smith apples, grated
1/2 cup carrots grates
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup oil 
1/2 cup vanilla greek nonfat yogurt  
2 eggs

  • First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt
  • Peel the skin off the apples and then grate. Once you have your grated apple squeeze out most of the liquid and then stir the grated apple into the dry ingredients. Grate your 1/2 cup carrots and add to mixture. 
  • In a separate bowl mix the oil, greek yogurt, and eggs. Then add to the dry ingredients. Mix, mix, mix!
  • You can place your 1/2 cup of walnuts in a plastic bag and smash with a heavy object. Then, add the walnuts to the bowl. Mix!
  • Pour your batter into a greased baking pan 8x4 or 9x5
  • Bake for 50 minutes
  • Yummm! This was sooo good! I can't wait to eat more tomorrow for breakfast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment